Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Orientation:

Ahhhhh....I am sitting down after two very intense days of orientation, which were intense in different ways.

Yesterday, our first day, was simply incredible. I walked with the other students in my apartment complex to get the bus to school, which is a 7 km. drive. We arrived on campus to meet all of the other students, which was so exciting. It's wonderful to finally meet the people I will be studying with for the next year. They come from so many different place (60 countries are represented), and have even more diversity with respect to backgrounds. It is simply amazing to hear the different life experiences that all of the other students have, and what brought them to UPEACE. This will add so much to our learning experience, as people bring their different perspectives. I feel truly blessed to have the opportunity to learn in such an environment.

The day involved a lot of stimulating activities, led by the UPEACE staff. I must say that I had high expectations in coming here, and yesterday exceeded them. The staff exudes the peace that we are all striving to create, and they are such skilled teachers. We did a "speed dating" activity, which was probably the least awkward ice breaker I've ever had to do. We also did group activities on identity and culture, and started talking about peace and conflict issues. It was a fascinating day, which I hope is only the tip of the iceberg of this experience. The day ended with an informal cocktail hour, during which I met a Japanese woman who lived in Kameari, the next train stop from where I lived in Tokyo. We joked that we'd probably been smashed together on the metro before. Incredibly small world.
In that regard, I also met a girl who is a friend of a friend who I met in Australia. It's amazing that we can come from all over the world and have mutual friends!

Today was slightly more administrative and...boring. Still, I got to meet more people which was really fun. There are a few other returned Peace Corps volunteers within the student body, and it's been nice to meet them. We got to hear from the local mayor, who seems to be a motivated man trying to make positive changes within the community.

One highlight was when Golda, a Peace Education graduate and member of the admissions staff, informed us that Sunday is International Day of Slavery. It's a day to remember the history of the slave trade, lest we not repeat it. She showed us a slide show, and we had a few moments of silence.

Another was talking about the extracurricular clubs. There is so much going on, and I want to be involved in almost all of it! But I'm sure the schedule will be such that I will have to choose. Myself and 2 other teachers are getting some yoga classes together, which is very exciting. There was an overwhelming response of people who are interested in practicing, so that is really exciting. I am also really interested in doing some volunteer teaching (English, and hopefully peace education, too) in an underpriveleged area of San Jose. There are other exciting activities, like language club, environmental club, gardening club, cooking club, as well as cultural days and a model UN conference.

It's all very exciting. I come home today, exhausted, yet feeling filled with energy at the same time. It is a good feeling.

It looks like tomorrow's schedule will be low-key, and we have a party at the end of the day. Over the weekend we are having a get-together with our landlords and the house across the street, sort of a little neighborhood block party. It should be fun.

Meanwhile, Alistair is teaching his first class tonight! Excitement all around!

No comments:

Post a Comment